Monday, September 17, 2007

What's been up with me recently:

Firstly: HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!!

I hope you had an awesome day!

Hm, well, where to start. Once again it's been a huge amount of time since I've updated properly (btw, I did upload all of my entries written before I got my internet, I just dated them properly. They start at 'Tokyo') or uploaded pictures. No pictures yet but I will update.

Well, the best news I have is that my bike came home this week! Some of my kids found it at the shopping centre downtown and phoned the school on Tuesday. The best part is that they're some of my little brats in class. I'm so proud of them! It's still up in the air as the whether they, other kids, or graduated students took it. I actually am more and more suspecting the graduated students since they came by and buzzed the school on loud scooters the next afternoon. They're bored and not going to high school so... But, honestly, I don't really care and since everything is fixed everything is forgiven.

Um, so L has come and gone this past week and I'm really enjoying both the ability to sleep in and my me space. Not that I mind having company, it's just my house is 1-person sized. And I'm tired from all the sports festival prep for the last few weeks and the final culmination that occurred Saturday.

Teaching is really fun so far because I'm actually allowed to either a) lead most of the class on my own with support from my JLT, or b) wander around and talk with the kids in the back or who are misbehaving when I'm not needed immediately by my JLT. My English Passport scheme to bribe my children into wanting to at least participate in my classes seems to be working for the most part as well. I know intrinsic (internal) motivation is better than extrinsic (external) but when they're being forced to learn a language in high school the intrinsic won't be there most of the time anyway. Actually, I'm finding I love the little wanna-be gangsters the best in class because they keep things fun. I'm also discovering that I have a terrific internal goofball that comes out in class so I can play well off of my students no matter what they're doing.

My squishies (elementary students) are also absolutely amazing and I love them to pieces. Those days are going to be the most tiring but the most fun, I think. Most of them are still totally into playing games and lunch break is friggin' awesome. But I have to find more durable clothing and not wear my nice shirts. The kids are going to trash my clothing. I need to look into getting guys shirts.

Hm, well this post was actually interrupted by about six hours. I went to Gifu with a friend and when I hit up Uniqlo I discovered that they have clothes that fit me! T-shirts, long-sleeved shirts, and polo shirts! Admittedly in the largest men's size they carry but I'm still ecstatic. I didn't think it would be so easy to find elementary-appropriate clothing! And the best part is that guys clothing here comes in girl's colors, too. Pink, purple, light blue, you name a color and you can find it in the clothing section somewhere. Sadly the shirt that said, "Eat more turkey, be perky!" with the picture of the chef carving up the turkey wasn't there in my size. Uniqlo is cheap, too, most of my shirts were around 1000 yen (~$10). (Thank you Tanya, you were right, that store is amazing).

Anyways, I should be working on what I'm going to do in class tomorrow so I'm going to sign off now.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

"And the best part is that guys clothing here comes in girl's colors, too. Pink, purple, light blue, you name a color and you can find it in the clothing section somewhere."

Haha, are you saying I wear girl colours?

Hollie said...

and i can comment!!! sweet, required blogging for class has other benefits.
glad you are having fun at work (school) and especially pleased that you have your bike back. midori has been checking in with me to make sure your stay over there is going well.
and amera and i miss you still, and always

Heather Potter said...

*looks innocent* You, Brenden? Haha, no, I'm saying that every male in Japan wears girl colors. Except maybe the goths.

And I miss you, too, Hollie! It's an always for me, too. And I am happy that you are required to blog! *hugs* Tell Midori I'm doing fine, too ^_^ I hope your classes are going well!